10/2/14

Making Sunrise Matter

For those of you who know me well, it will come as no surprise to you that sunrise is my favorite time of day.  The stillness, the quiet, and the time alone with God is my absolute favorite…

Most days back in the states I would find myself up around 4:30am, spending my time preparing for the day; showering, reading, eating breakfast, composing emails, going for walks, and even watching movies in order to give myself enough time to face the day with a smile.  Here, things have been a bit different.

Since I don't have a typical 8am-5pm job, I find myself sleeping in a bit later.  I wake up with the sun instead of ushering it in.  Most days I have been staying up later, so I'm not completely wasting my time with sleep, but it is a change in my norm nonetheless; except for on Wednesdays.

Every Wednesday morning at 6am there is a Divine Liturgy service held at Saint Nicholas.  At first I was a bit apprehensive about being around other people so early in the morning (hoping not to be an absolute mess), but I've quickly become fond of the early service as a midweek time for communion.  They have the service so early to accommodate for morning traffic, but I like to think God made those accommodations with my preferences in mind as well.  :-)


No comments: